This Privacy Notice aims to give you information about how we collect and process your personal data when you use the website or app this Privacy Notice is linked to. This Privacy Notice covers any personal data you provide when you create an account, purchase a product or otherwise interact with us.
We want to make sure you know who we are, how you can contact us, the personal data we process, how we use it, who we share it with, how long we keep it for and the choices you have to exercise your legal rights.
This Privacy Notice covers the following topics:
- Important information
- Who we are
- How to contact us
- The personal data we collect and use
- Who we share your personal data with
- How long your personal data will be kept for
- Transfer of your personal data out of the UK or the EEA (European Economic Area)
- Control over your information
- Keeping your personal information secure
- How to complain
- Changes to this privacy notice
Who we are
C. & J. Clark International Limited is a company registered in England and Wales (company number 00141015) with a registered office at 40 High Street, Street, Somerset, BA16 0EQ.
When we mention “Clarks”, “we”, “us” or “our” in this Privacy Notice, we are referring to C. & J. Clark International Limited.
For the purposes of data protection legislation, we are the data controller of your personal data. We are registered with the Information Commissioners Office in the UK with reference number Z5755995.
How to contact us
We have appointed a Data Privacy Manager who is responsible for overseeing questions in relation to this Privacy Notice. If you have any comments, questions or requests in relation to this notice or how we handle your personal data, please address them to Privacy, Box No. 87, C. & J. Clark International Limited, 40 High Street, Street, Somerset, BA16 0EQ or email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The personal data we collect and use
If you have created an account with us, or ordered items from us or otherwise interact with our website or app, we will use your personal data in several different ways. The table below sets out how we use your personal data, showing what personal data we collect and why.
|Category of personal data||Purpose for processing|
|Name and contact details (such as email address, telephone number and postal address)||Process any orders that you make by using our websites or in store |
Send you service messages by email or text, such as order updates and/or respond to your queries, refund and/or return requests and complaints
Send you information by email, post or social media about our products or services e.g. if you sign up to our newsletter
So that you can book a fitting appointment
Fraud prevention and detection
To register you with a Clarks account
Undertake website personalisation to develop products, services, applications
|Purchase information/history||Maintain records of your purchases with us |
Deliver your purchase to you
Send you information by email, post or social media about our new products or services
Fraud prevention and detection
To better understand your preferences and make decisions about what Clarks adverts are shown to you as you browse the web or apps
|Date of birth information||Fraud prevention and detection |
To send you treats on your birthday
|Payment information (we don’t store this information)||Take payment and give refunds |
Fraud prevention and detection
|Contact history with Clarks e.g. over the phone, email or on social media||Provide customer service and support |
Train our staff
|Information you provide when entering a competition or prize draw, playing games and completing surveys (including contact details and your actual entry)||To facilitate your participation in the competition or prize draw and notify winners|
|Device information: information about your computer, phone or other device you use to view the website or app such as device type, operating system, hardware version, browser type, unique device identifier, IP address and advertising ID |
Log information: information about how you use our website or app such as the types of content you view or engage with, the frequency and duration of your activities, access times, language, your IP address and pages you visit before or after navigating away from the website
Device and log information will not be associated with you as a named individual unless you are logged into your account or you have given consent to receive email communications from Clarks by subscribing to Clarks emails
|To facilitate your participation in the competition or prize draw |
Improve our website and set default options for you (such as language and currency)
Showing you Clarks adverts as you browse the web
Fraud prevention and detection
Make sure the website or app display and function correctly on your device (e.g. make sure pages load correctly on your device and that the displayed language and currency are correct for the country you are in)
Provide us with analytical information about the use of the website or app
Make the website or app secure
Make decisions about the pages, images and adverts to display to you on Clarks’ websites and apps
To better understand your preferences and make decisions about the content we send you in Clarks marketing emails
Make decisions about the adverts you see on websites and apps that are not owned by Clarks
When you sign up to our emails you consent to the use of email tracking technology (pixels) through third parties to collect data such as whether an email has been delivered to you and if you have opened it. This data is only visible in an anonymous level to our teams to enable them to review and take actions based on the effectiveness of an online campaign. You can opt out of receiving emails at any time
Associate different devices you use with each other so that the pages, images and offers you see across devices are consistent.
|CCTV images captured in our stores||The use of CCTV recording equipment in and around our stores for monitoring and security purposes. We may share where necessary CCTV footage to the Police in particular. This is very strictly controlled.|
|Social media comments and photos you post on social media pages where you have mentioned and tagged Clarks||We may want to respond to you or react, particularly if you are happy or unhappy with something. |
It is important for us to know what you think about us and the products we provide to you.
We ensure that the collection and use of your personal data is lawful. Therefore, for the purposes listed above, we only use your personal data if one of the following conditions apply:
- You have given us your consent
- We need your personal data for the performance of a contract you enter into with us, such as when you purchase a product through the website or app
- We need to comply with legal obligations
- We need to protect your vital interests
- Your data is necessary for the public interest, or
- We have a legitimate interest in processing the personal data.
Who we share your personal information with
We share your data with the following categories of companies as an essential part of being able to provide our services to you:
- Members of the Clarks group of companies, where they assist us in providing our services to yo
- Companies that help us get your order to you, such as payment service providers, warehouses operators and delivery companies
- Marketing service providers, such as marketing agencies and advertising partners who help us market our business
- Technology service providers, such as companies that support our IT, help us analyse the data we hold, send communications to our customers and help us develop and host our websites and apps
- Professional advisors, such as companies that provide us with legal or financial advice
- Credit reference agencies, law enforcement and fraud prevention agencies, so we can help tackle fraud and other unlawful activities
- Companies approved by you, such as social media sites
- If any part of our business is outsourced, sold, or merged, where permitted by law, we will share your data with the new provider so that we may continue to sell products to you and they may use your personal data in the same way as set out in this policy. We will of course inform you of any such change and give you an opportunity to opt out of your data being shared with a new provider.
For a list of our third-party suppliers see 'Third Party Suppliers' or go to the end of this page. Some of those third-party recipients may be based outside the UK or the European Economic Area &mdash. For further information including how we safeguard your personal data when this occurs, see ‘Transfer of your information out of the UK or the EEA’.We do not allow third-party suppliers to use your personal data for their own purposes and only permit them to process your personal data for specified purposes and in accordance with our instructions.
In certain, very limited circumstances, we are jointly responsible for determining the collection and/or use of your personal information with third party organisations, (this is known as being a "joint controller"). This is the case with The Level Group, an e-commerce partner who operate our European websites.
How long your personal data will be kept
We will hold on to your information for as long as you have your account, or as long as is needed to be able to provide the services to you, or (in the case of any contact you may have with our Customer Care team) for as long as is necessary to provide support-related reporting and trend analysis only.
If reasonably necessary or required to meet legal or regulatory requirements, resolve disputes, prevent fraud and abuse, or enforce our terms and conditions, we may also keep hold of some of your information as required, even after you have closed your account or it is no longer needed to provide the services to you.
Transfer of your personal data out of the UK or the EEA
In order to process your personal data for the purposes set out in this Privacy Notice, we may transfer your personal data to third parties and other companies in our group that are based outside of the EEA or the UK.
For any personal data transfers to the EEA we will continue to follow all regulatory and legal requirements set out EU-UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement, and any subsequent arrangements that are agreed. This privacy notice will be updated in due course to reflect any relevant changes.
Whenever we transfer your personal data out of the EEA or the UK, we attach a similar degree of protection to it (as it would receive in the EEA and the UK) by ensuring the appropriate safeguards are in place and at least one of the following safeguards is implemented:
- We will only transfer your personal data to countries, territories or sectors within a country that have been deemed to provide an adequate level of protection for personal data by the European Commission.
- The transfer is subject to a legally binding and enforceable commitment on the recipient to protection the personal data (e.g. through the use of European Commission approved standard contractual clauses or ICO International Data Transfer Agreements, as appropriate).
- Where we use service providers based in the US, we may transfer data to them if they are part of the Privacy Shield which requires them to provide similar protection to personal data shared between Europe and the US.
- The transfer is made subject to binding corporate rules.
- The transfer is based on a derogation from restrictions on transferring personal data outside of the EEA (such as where you give your consent, the transfer is necessary for the performance of contract with you, or the transfer is necessary for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims).
Control over your information
Under the General Data Protection Regulation and UK data protection laws, you have several important rights available to you. In summary, those include rights to:
- Be informed about how your personal information is being used (hopefully this privacy notice explains it all)
- Access the personal information we hold about you
- Request that we transfer elements of your data to another service provider
- Request us to correct any mistakes in your information which we hold
- Request the erasure of personal information concerning you in certain situations
- Receive the personal information concerning you which you have provided to us, in a structured format or to ask us to transfer that information to another service provider
- Stop any direct marketing
- Object to processing of your personal data
- You can ask us to restrict or suspend processing of your personal data under certain circumstances, for example if you want us to restrict processing while the accuracy of personal data is being established
- Right not to be subjected to automated decision-making that significantly affects you, however, we will only use automated decision making in limited circumstance
- Right to withdraw your consent, where processing of your personal data is based on consent, you can remove it at any time
For further information on each of these rights, including the circumstances in which they apply, see the Guidance from the UK Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) on individuals’ rights under the General Data Protection Regulation.
If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please:
- email, call or write to us at Privacy, Box No. 87, C. & J. Clark International Limited, 40 High Street, Street, Somerset, BA16 0EQ or email Privacy@Clarks.com, phone 01458 899 904
- et us have enough information to identify you;
- et us know the information to which your request relates
We try to respond to all legitimate requests within one month. Occasionally it may take us longer than a month if your request is particularly complex or you have made many requests. In this case, we will notify you and keep you updated.
Keeping your personal information secure
We have appropriate security measures in place to prevent personal information from being accidentally lost, or used or accessed in an unauthorised way. We limit access to your personal information to those who have a genuine business need to know it. Those processing your information will do so only in an authorised manner and are subject to a duty of confidentiality
We also have procedures in place to deal with any suspected data security breach. We will notify you and any applicable regulator of a suspected data security breach where we are legally required to do so.
If you want detailed information from Get Safe Online on how to protect your information and your computers and devices against fraud, identity theft, viruses and many other online problems, please visit www.getsafeonline.org. Get Safe Online is supported by HM Government and leading businesses.
How to complain
We hope that we can resolve any query or concern you raise about our use of your information. If you are not happy with how Clarks manages your personal data, you have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority. The supervisory authority in the UK is the Information Commissioner who may be contacted at https://ico.org.uk/concerns/. If you are based outside the UK, you have the right to lodge your complaint with the relevant data protection regulator in your country of residence.
Changes to this privacy notice
This privacy notice was published on 3rd May 2018 and last updated on 3rd February 2022.
Any changes we make to this notice will be posted on this page.
How to contact us
If you wish to contact us please send an email to email@example.com write to Privacy, PO Box 87, 40 High Street, Street, Somerset, BA16 0EQ. or call 01458 899 904.
Outlet Third Party Suppliers
|Acquia||Contact details and purchase history||Storage/profiling/decision making and segmentation||https://www.acquia.com|
|Wunderkind||Personal details and cookie data including browsing and purchase data||Email address acquisition and delivery of marketing triggered emails||https://www.wunderkind.co/uk/privacy/|
|Sales Force||Contact details and purchase history||Storage/profiling/decision making and segmentation||https://www.salesforce.com/uk/company/privacy/|
|Levementum||Contact details and purchase history||Storage/profiling/decision making and segmentation||https://levdigital.com/|
|AWIN||Name, email address and order number||Transaction storage||https://www.awin.com/gb/legal/privacy-policy|
|Criteo||Cookie data - hashed email, browsing data, transaction data including order number and |
|Retargeting - create audience, link online click with store transaction through e-receipts email to optimise media on store sales||https://www.criteo.com/privacy/|
|Worldpay||Name, Email, Address, amount, date, time, telephone, Payment type, payment status, last |
4 digits of a card, IP, payment transaction
|Accenture||Daily Reports emailed to Payments Inbox with order number, order status, email, Payment transaction, date, amount||Used for payment checks, tasks||https://www.accenture.com/gb-en/privacy-policy|
|Hermes||Name, Address, Phone Number, Order Number||Delivery/Tracking/Customer communications||https://www.myhermes.co.uk/privacy-policy.html|
|MailGun||Name, delivery address, Email, telephone number, order number||Service email provider||https://www.mailgun.com/privacy-policy|
|IBM Digital Analytics||Order Number, Address, Email Address, Name||Analytics||https://www.ibm.com/privacy/details/uk/en/|
|ContentSquare||Cookie, IP, User Agent String, Order Number, Products Viewed/Purchased||User Behaviour Analytics||https://contentsquare.com/security-privacy/|